Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Review: L’Oreal Color Riche leGloss

            I love lipgloss. And I hate it. I love it for a low maintenance finish to my look that adds color, and shine while keeping my lips moisturized. Pretty much all lipsticks dry out my lips to some extent, but with a lipgloss I don’t have to deal with that. I always try new lipgloss formulas that I see, because I’m always looking for a gloss that actually shows up. My lips are pretty pigmented and I have gotten so many promising lipglosses, only to have them end up looking clear. I’ve just come to expect that from lipgloss, it’s okay, I’ve come to terms. Sometimes, though, I’m pleasantly surprised.
            I have been so excited to try out the L’Oreal Color Riche leGloss, because they have some lovely colors and I’m always on the hunt for a new gloss. It’s not a hobby; it’s a state of being. I finally got one at CVS with a coupon and sale and blah blah blah and was so excited! Did I mention that this lipgloss was exciting for me? Yeah.
            It comes in a common squeeze tube, though this one is thinner than normal, which I like. I prefer wand applicators, just because I usually squeeze too much out with these tubes and make a crazy mess on my face but, since it is thinner it makes application a little more precise. It looks sleeker than other squeeze tubes, as well, and I love the gold accents. I think gold is kind of uncommon in drugstore makeup, so it’s a nice change. The scent is kind of cupcake-frosting-ish, but not strong. I only notice it if I sniff the tube. I got the color 159 Golden Splash which is a really nice corally/peachy-pink yumminess with golden shimmer.

(No lip products at all)
(L'Oreal leGloss)

Look! You can see my jacked up teeth!

           The formula isn’t too thick or sticky, but it is very present. I never forgot I was wearing lipgloss or anything, but it didn’t drive me batshit. It lasts pretty well (4+ hours) and doesn’t migrate terribly. And the color showed up! Hallelujah! It was fantastic and I was already planning the other lipglosses I wanted from this line, when tragedy struck. It dried out my lips. When I say “dried out” I mean desiccated. I’ve eaten dried fruit that was juicier than my lips after this gloss. About an hour into wear I smooshed my lips together (like I do) and I still felt the thick layer of gloss I had applied, but underneath my lips were dried and icky. It was so weird, especially since I had lip balm beneath the gloss. I don’t know what happened, but I’m disappointed, since I loved the color on my lips so much.
           Conclusion: This lipgloss gives me sadness. I was excited to find a lipgloss color that worked for me, but saddened by the weird reaction my lips had. It always leaves my lips dry and in desperate need of chapstick. It does more damage to my lips than some of my lipsticks even. We are in the lip Twilight Zone here people. I’m going to see if I can’t make this work, though, and I’ll probably still wear it (why yes, I am a glutton for punishment).
Where to Buy: Drugstores, Target etc. Price ranges from $6-$8 methinks.
Have you tried one of these glosses? Did you have the same crazy experience I did, or did they work out okay for you? Let me know in the comments :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow Me on Pinterest