Friday, April 13, 2012

Review: April MyGlam Bag

     I just received my first MyGlam bag in the mail today and can I just say “wooooooooooo?” Okay, Woo. In case you don’t know, MyGlam is one of those monthly services where you pay a fee each month (usually around $10) and they send you a package of beauty samples in return. It is a wildly popular concept and there are about 3,000 services like this. MyGlam is a bit newer than some of the others and I picked this one because, when looking at all the other services, this one had the most samples, overall, that I liked and it seems like they have the most makeup samples from brands I recognize.

     I filled out a survey when I signed up, but I don’t think it had much to do with what anyone got in their bag. The only thing that really differed for everyone was the color of the eyeliner and style of the lashes. In my profile I list myself as more natural when it comes to beauty, yet got some pretty dramatic lashes and a very bright eyeliner.


     This service sends its packages out in cute little bags and you get 5 items. This month I received an Urban Decay 24/7 eyeliner pencil in Radium, Dermstore Lip Quench, a set of All-Belle lashes & two MyGlam makeup brushes.

     The bag is a pretty metallic pink and will probably be my new makeup bag for my purse. It smells kind of chemicall-y, but I think that’s just because it’s cheap. I’m not saying the cheapness is a bad thing. It's not like they have to include a bag with every month. I didn’t expect a really high quality, designer type bag. It’s cute and simple.



     The eyeliner I got is not full sized, but travel sized. A full size 24/7 eyeliner is .04 US oz and the one I received this month is .03 US oz. Since a full size is $19 and I paid $10 for the whole bag, I think the eyeliner covers the cost of the bag. I’ve been dying to try a 24/7 pencil, but have never gotten around to buying one so I was thrilled to see it in my bag. I received the color Radium which, as far as I’m aware, is only available in the Electric 24/7 Travel-Size Set of 5. Please correct me if I’m wrong. It’s creamy, glides well and is a pretty bright blue.



     Next I have a set of false lashes. Again, I was super excited for this because I have never used false lashes before, but had wanted to give them a go for a while. I mean, that’s what this whole service is about- letting the consumer try out products that are new to them. So far so good.



     Next is the Dermstore Lip Quench, which is actually a weird product. It claims to give “thin, dry lips a fuller, smoother, hydrated appearance,” and I’m kind of indecisive about whether it does or not. The sample I got is full size (.21 OZ), which is nice, and it typically retails for $12. Again, this bag is a really good deal. It smells like chemical berries or berry punch. It does have some shimmer and a slight pink tint. It comes in a squeeze tube, but it is very thick. It isn’t sticky, but it is waxy. On the lips it feels like an EOS lip balm (which is much cheaper and cuter and smells better). The product does moisturize my lips well, and I’m glad to have the product, but I would never buy it on my own. I’d just get another EOS. I wouldn’t do that either, but only because I have a million of them.



     I have tiny lid space so I love small brushes. Not only are these pink and cute they are pretty good quality. The eyeshadow brush is pony hair (which I don’t like, but since I didn’t get to pick it, okay, fine) and the eyeliner brush is nylon. I am over the moon about the eye liner brush because it is perfect for filling in my brows. My brows have a kind of thin shape, so the brush is precise and it is very narrow, which is great for getting between hairs. I had actually been looking for an eyeliner brush just like this one and then, BAM, here it arrives in my mailbox. Fantastic.

     Conclusion: Overall, I am very pleased with this bag and think it is well worth the $10. From what I’ve heard this is one of the best bags MyGlam has put out, though, so be wary. Next month could be terrible. That’s just the nature of these services. I think MyGlam would be perfect for someone who has just gotten into makeup, has a small collection or has very few expensive items (like me) because each month is more likely to send you things that you don’t have already.

     Where to buy: MyGlam is not accepting subscriptions right now, but you can go to their website (http://www.myglam.com/) and sign up to be added to the waiting list. They’ll email you when subscriptions become available and if you want it, when you get that email, jump on it. It sells out quick.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow Me on Pinterest